There are so many things to love about Rome.
The capital of Italy is also the heart of its travel and tourism industry.
They welcomed 10.32 million international tourists in 2019 and is the 17th most popular city worldwide.
It’s actually one of the most coveted destinations for baby boomers from the US too!
Are you wondering about where most visitors to Rome are from?
Or how many hotels operate in this city?
Well, we’ll answer everything below with the most recent statistics about Rome tourism!
Sources: I’ve attached the source article or data under each statistics. Feel free to head over to the end of this article for a full list of all the sources used.
Is Rome the most visited city in the world?
No, but Rome is the 17th most visited city in the world with 10.32 million international tourists in 2019.
Which nationality visits Rome the most?
Based on the number of tourist arrivals, the United States is the largest inbound tourism market for Rome. The city welcomed 219,000 Americans in 2021.
How many tourists visit Rome annually?
In 2022, there were 5,821,362 international tourist arrivals in Rome, an incredible 500% increase from 2021.
Key Rome Travel Statistics
- In 2022, there were 5,821,362 international tourist arrivals in Rome, an incredible 500% increase from 2021.
- Based on the number of tourist arrivals, the United States was the largest inbound tourism market for Rome. The city welcomed 219,000 Americans in 2021.
- The world region with the most tourist arrivals in Rome is Europe, with 2.78 million tourists in 2022.
- In 2022, there were 3,844,876 domestic tourists in Rome, which was a 110.15% increase from 2021 and a recovery of 81.94% from 2019.
- Before the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism revenues in Italy amounted to $51.91 billion or 2.6% of the country’s gross national product.
- On average, it costs 145 euros to stay overnight in Rome in February 2023. This is considerably higher than the 83 euros average back in February 2020.
- In 2021, the number of international overnight stays in tourist accommodations in Rome was approximately 4.2 million.
- As of 2021, there were a total of 1,600 hotels in Rome, Italy.
- In Rome, the average nightly rate of accommodations listed on Airbnb is 236 euros.
- The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction not only in Rome, but all of Italy. It welcomed 1.7 million visitors in 2021, which was higher than the 1.1 million in 2020.
International tourism in Rome
How many tourists visit Rome annually?
1. In 2019, Rome was the 17th most popular destination in the world with 10.32 million foreign tourists.
Rome is the most visited city within Italy, followed by Venice in the fourth place with 5.59 million visitors in 2019.
2. In 2022, there were 5,821,362 international tourist arrivals in Rome, an incredible 500% increase from 2021.
3. In 2021, there were a total of 1.6 million international arrivals in tourist accommodation around Rome. This is higher than 2020, but still almost 80% lower than the pre-pandemic figures.
4. Based on the number of tourist arrivals, the United States was the largest inbound tourism market for Rome. The city welcomed 219,000 Americans in 2021.
In Rome, there were 219 thousand tourist arrivals from the US in 2021, which was more than 2020 but still lower than the number of pre-pandemic arrivals.
5. The US was also the leading inbound travel market in Rome for overnight stays, with a total of 804 thousand overnight stays in 2021 alone.
6. The world region with the most tourist arrivals in Rome is Europe, with 2.78 million tourists in 2022.
International travel within Europe has always been easy, which is why the majority of international tourists in Rome in 2022 was from Europe (2.78 million arrivals).
7. On the other hand, as regions, Southeast Asia and Central South America contributed the least number of tourist arrivals in Rome, with 540 thousand and 394 thousand arrivals respectively.
8. Rome is among the top travel destinations for foodie families.
Among families who travel and enjoy food destinations, Rome is among the top destinations, along with London and Paris.
Domestic tourism in Rome
How many domestic tourists go to Rome each year?
9. In 2022, there were 3,844,876 domestic tourists in Rome, which was a 110.15% increase from 2021 and a recovery of 81.94% from 2019.
10. Meanwhile, the number of overnight stays by domestic tourists was 7,243,401.
Again, this is a 115% increase from 2021, and a recovery of 79.97% from the pre-pandemic levels in 2019.
11. Tourist accommodation establishments in Rome welcomed 2.3 million domestic arrivals in 2021, increasing from 1.5 million in the previous year.
Economic impact of Rome tourism
How much do tourists spend in Rome?
12. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism revenues in Italy amounted to $51.91 billion or 2.6% of the country’s gross national product.
13. Thus, in 2020, the average international tourist in Italy spent around $450.
14. Meanwhile, Italians who travel abroad spend $511 on average when on vacation.
15. On average, it costs 145 euros to stay overnight in Rome in February 2023. This is considerably higher than the 83 euros average back in February 2020.
This rising cost can be explained by the recovery of the tourism industry post Coronavirus.
16. State museums, monuments, and archaeological areas in Rome generated an income of 26,899,132 euros in 2021.
This is higher than the 15,879,076 euros income recorded in 2020, but still 68.7% lower than the pre-pandemic figure of 86,048,208 euros.
17. On average, 26.5% of tourist spending in Rome is for hotels, 20.2% for shopping for clothes, 17.2% for eating out and drinking, and 12% for visiting cultural attractions, movies, and shows.
Rome tourism hotels & accommodation
How many hotels rooms are in Rome?
18. In 2021, the number of international overnight stays in tourist accommodations in Rome was approximately 4.2 million.
While this is slightly more than the arrivals in 2020, it’s still 82% less than the number before the Coronavirus pandemic.
19. In 2021, there were 6.2 million domestic overnight stays in Rome, much more than the 4.4 million recorded in 2020.
As of 2021, there were still more domestic tourists staying overnight in accommodations in Rome than international tourists.
20. Meanwhile, the total arrivals in hotels and residences in Rome was 9.66 million, a 245% increase from the previous year.
21. As of 2021, there were a total of 1,600 hotels in Rome, Italy.
22. The majority of hotels in Rome are rated three stars, with 621 such establishments.
Out of the 1,600 hotels in Rome, nearly 39% of them are three-star hotels.
23. The number of 3-star hotels in Rome had risen slightly to 621 in 2021, from 618 in 2020.
24. Meanwhile, there are 442 four-star hotels and 53 five-star hotels in Rome.
25. Based on the number of chain hotel rooms, Rome is the leading travel destination in Italy, with 22,899 chain hotel rooms recorded in 2021.
26. There are 2,249 properties awarded with a travel sustainable badge in Rome.
Italy is the country with the highest number of travel sustainable awards on Booking.come, with 2,249 sustainable establishments in Rome alone.
27. Overall, 95% of customers who leave reviews will write a positive one.
As the number of online positive reviews increase, tourists in Rome will be more likely to stay in hotels and make their bookings online.
Other tourist accommodations in Rome
Where else do tourists stay in Rome?
28. As of December 2022, there were 24,383 Airbnb listings in Rome, Italy.
29. In Rome, the average nightly rate of accommodations listed on Airbnb is 236 euros.
This is more expensive than Airbnb listings in other cities in Italy, including Florence, Venice, and Milan.
30. The majority of Airbnb listings in Rome featured are entire homes or apartments, with 16,542 properties.
Out of the over 24 thousand Airbnb listings in Rome, 16,542 of them are entire homes or apartments.
31. Moreover, there are 6,992 private rooms listed on Airbnb, 712 hotel rooms, and just 137 shared rooms.
32. Non-hotel tourist accommodations in Rome increased to over 22 thousand in 2021, from just 20 thousand in 2019.
Overall, the 22 thousand non-hotel accommodations are suitable for backpackers who want a low-cost alternatives to hotels when visiting Rome.
33. As of 2021, there are nearly 6.8 thousand holiday dwellings, 3.5 thousand bed and breakfasts, and 414 holiday homes in Rome.
These three are the most popular types of non-hotel facilities in Rome.
34. There are 44 youth hostels recorded in Rome.
35. In 2021, Municipio I – Historical Center-Prati had the most bed and breakfasts (577 establishments).
Rome is divided into 15 sub-municipalities, with the Prati neighborhood recording the most B&Bs within the city.
The sub-municipality with the least bed and breakfasts is Municipio XV, with only 21 such properties.
36. Prati is also the sub-municipality with the highest number of vacation rentals, or 7.8 thousand establishments in total.
Municipio VI has the least number of vacation rentals, at only 62 vacation rentals.
Tourism destinations in Rome
Where is the most visited place in Rome?
37. Rome has 35 paid state cultural institutions and 24 attractions with free entry.
In the region of Lazio, Rome is the province with the highest number of state cultural attractions.
38. In total, there were 4.8 million visitors to state museums, monuments, and archaeological areas in Rome in 2021.
39. The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction not only in Rome, but all of Italy. It welcomed 1.7 million visitors in 2021, which was higher than the 1.1 million in 2020.
40. After the Colosseum, the most popular sites in Rome are Trevi Fountain (visited by 86.3% of tourists), Pantheon (82.6%), Piazza di Spagna (81.7%), St. Peter’s Basilica (75,1%), and the Roman Forum (73.9%).
41. The Mausoleum of Hadrian greeted 1.2 million visitors in 2019, 220 thousand in 2020, and 240 thousand in 2021.
The figure is steadily rising as tourism in Rome and Italy overall is recovering, but it’s still well below the pre-pandemic level.
Traveller’s opinion on Rome tourism
What do tourists think about Rome?
42. 14% of tourists in Rome are annoyed by street vendors who keep offering their products.
43. A further 13% are dissatisfied with lots of vehicles on the streets of Rome.
44. 12.2% of tourists are also dissatisfied by the unclean streets.
45. Meanwhile, public transportation is a negative factor of Rome tourism for 11.5% of visitors.
46. On the other hand, the survey reveals that 1 in 10 visitors to Rome claim that “Rome is beautiful, as is”.
47. 4 in 5 tourists also says that Rome is the most beautiful city in Italy.
48. Moreover, 75% of people who travel to Rome state that they will return for a second visit.
Overall, Rome’s tourism is rising as the world continues to recover from the Coronavirus pandemic.
Whether you’re a digital nomad looking for the next place to work from or simply want to understand more about Rome, we hope these statistics are helpful.
Let us know in the comments if we missed any interesting facts about Rome’s travel industry!
In the meantime, you might enjoy these other stats:
published 2023-10-10 12:28:26