A 21-year-old man was discovered by friends dead in a hot tub at a popular glamping site.

Jai Williams, from Caerphilly, Wales, had taken a cocktail of drugs, an inquest into his death heard on Tuesday.

Coroner’s officer James Lang told the hearing how, from the age of 14, Mr Williams had regularly taken prescription drugs such as valium and diazepam, but then found himself heavily involved in drugs.

“Drugs were a big part of his life and he had some mental health issues,” Mr Lang explained.

Mr Lang described how Mr Williams had a difficult upbringing following the death of his grandmother and became so involved in the local drug scene that people he allegedly owed dirty money to had reportedly attacked his relatives’ properties.

Mr Williams briefly spent time on the streets following his release from prison last year before he was put up in council-provided accommodation in New Tredegar in the summer of 2021. The court heard how Mr Williams’ family felt he was taking positive steps to improve his life, Wales Online reports.

But on 23 January, 2022, during a holiday with his friends at Florence Springs Glamping and Camping in Tenby, paramedics were called to the site to reports of Mr Williams having drowned in a hot tub. The court heard how Mr Williams had arrived at the site the night before.

Paramedics pronounced Mr Williams as deceased at the scene shortly after midnight. A post-mortem examination carried out at Morriston Hospital on January 27 by Dr Maurizio Brotto advised Mr Williams’ medical cause of death as 1A: poisoning and 1B: combination of cocaine and fluvoxamine toxicity.

Assistant Coroner for Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire Gareth Lewis said: “I am satisfied that Jai Williams had taken a fatal concoction of drugs.”

He issued a formal conclusion of a drug-related death.


published 2022-11-16 00:40:00